24 May 2009

Swazi '09- - -Mali '10

It's been kinda crazy planning for two amazing trips at one time. While getting packed up and ready to leave for Swaziland, South Africa, I am prepping with "homework" and assignments for Mali, West Africa 2010. Mali is a part of my major, a requirement to graduate with an Intercultural Studies Degree. It is a 6-month study abroad program with Grace University that prepares students for ministry either back home or on the mission field someday, while immersing ourselves in the culture and learning how to communicate whether you can speak the language fluently or not. Mali is about 95% Muslim, or close to, and they speak French (officially) and Bambara as well as other tribal languages among the country. It is mostly desert as well. Oh, and the time we will be there (Feb-Aug 2010) it is about 100-110 degrees F, daily. But our bodies will adjust to it pretty quickly. My team consists of 5 girls and 1 guy. He sure is going to learn alot with being the only male among us, but he'll grow through it I'm sure of it.

"Homework" consists of reading a book and posting answers to questions online, reading the Mali Travel Guide, taking free online french lessons to start practicing and familiarizing ourselves before we take french in August. Oh and getting a start on my support letter which I would send out in June or July but have to wait till I get back in August and it actually gets typed out and edited, mailed, and sealed!

I keep finding myself comparing the two countries. Swaziland's official language is English as well as siSwati, so in this way it'll be much easier than Mali. Swaziland also has about 40% of their country classified as Christianity, but alot of it is mixed in with ancestral worship and other practices (which is wear my team comes in). Swaziland will be all about playing, caring and loving, and doing whatever we can for the hundreds of orphans we will come into contact with. Maybe some construction, sharing the gospel with anyone and everyone, hospitals, schools, etc. In Mali, we will be taking 18 credit hours through either our own professors, the local missionaries, or one of the local professors there- Joseph Camara. It's about one class a month on estimation. Plus we will be "trying" to speak the little French we know and learning some Bambara as well. We will also be in ministry with wherever we want to help. The heat won't be much help either. Cooking with different ingredients and non-American utensils, we will be making our own meals each day. Washing laundry by hand and whatnot.

I want the challenge though. As long as God keeps the door propped open, I'm stepping forward. I pray after raising support for Swaziland (nearly $5,000 I received), that this would not be a burden to raising for Mali. I pray that God will still survive in the crazy ways He always does. I pray I would continue to seek Him and have faith in the mountains He moves in peoples' lives all the time. I pray He would give my parents faith as well to trust it will come if it's His will.

Please pray for me too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda! I'm so excited for you! Remember, you'll be in my thoughts and prayer this summer while you're in Swazi! God Bless.
-Mandy

Elysa said...

How exciting! And yes, what a contrast in countries and cultures!!!