21 July 2009

last update in swazi

Friends and Family,

I believe this is the 5th update, but definitely the last while i'm in country...Wow, so many things have happened that i cant even remember them all nor tell you everything.

We ended our last week in Nsoko this past Saturday...On Friday we killed a cow-right up close and personal and I actually volunteered to help cut the throat, but after I actually saw all this going on, i definitely changed my mind. Soon after though they began skinning the cow which I helped with. THEN I got my camera out (with clean hands of course) and took sweet pictures! I know you just have all always wanted to see the inside of a cow. All I have to say is that I will never look at a cow the same way again. All I see is the cow lying there with its tongue hanging out and its insides being pulled out to be cooked by the go-go's (grandmothers). Anyways, it was for a good cause. We invited all the kids and gogos from our carepoints (8 carepoints) and everyone else that we met or saw that week we invited to come on Saturday to eat with us. There were so many people. A couple hundred children (orphans) and lots of go-gos.

All I can say is that it was probably the most meaningful day. I was even more excited because the little girl that I have fallen in love with wasn't at the carepoint on our last day of going, but she was there on Saturday. She doesn't talk...but she sure does smile. She's probably about 2. I do have pictures...but I will never forget her smile. It's changed me. I've always wanted to adopt. I know that having your own children is a blessing and miracle in itself....but the more I look around and see these children, I realize that why keep on having our own kids when there are so many kids around the world who are already born who NEED PARENTS or even "a" parent. I've even been having dreams about adopting...its kinda crazy. Now obviously, I wont adopt anytime soon..but it is in my heart and continues to grow there. I keep asking God to give me His heart and His desires. He is doing that. I want that little girl...(tears). Even if I dont get married, I would still be willing to be a parent. They need us. Except, foreign adoptions aren't allowed in Swaziland as of this moment. I know it has happened before through God's miraculous power...but as of now its not legal. How sad.

So anyways we fed tons of people on Saturday and had our own little party with our friends/translators and the pastor and his family that evening.

How thankful I am to have water again, when we dont have running water. How thankful I am to even have warm water for a couple minutes, when we've only had hot water. My body is lacking so many nutrients that by eating 5 pieces of pizza last night in less than 10 minutes just killed me!! I need vitamins and everything else! Oh how much I yearn for healthy food. I yearn for space, but I would give all this up easily to follow Christ somewhere else. As I continue to go on mission trips-short term- I picture myself there for long-term and ask myself If I could live there...here in Swaziland..could I love here? My answer is yes..without a doubt. "What if You dont like Africa?" many have asked me....ha FALSE. I'm so in love with these people, with this continent. They have grabbed my heart. I expected to be broken and wrecked..and even though I haven't been here....I may feel it at home when i'm gone from it.

Well we have debrief this week. Sunday we are going to Kruger Safaris- one of the biggest in the world..and then Monday night we fly out. I'll be home on Wednesday! See you all soon.

Can't wait to share my next opportunity with you- Mali 2010.

Amanda Larsen

No comments: